Have you ever looked through your expenses and wondered where the money was going? It seems as if there is just never enough money to pay for all those bills. In fact you may have money that is being wasted and you do not even know it.
Here are 5 things you could be spending too much on
1. Utility bills: everyone will agree that utility bills are one of the biggest expenses we face. However what many people are not aware of is the fact that utility bills can be reduced considerably with a few small adjustments.
- Turning off lights when you are not in an area. Light consumption is fairly small but it adds up.
- Getting LED bulbs is a small investment but will save you heaps of money in the long run. These bulbs use less energy and last up to 10% longer than regular bulbs.
- Be sure that you do not run your washer when it is only ½ full.
- Line dry your clothes if possible rather than using your tumble dryer.
- Be sure that your fridge door sealants are clean and not damaged. Keep the door closed as much as possible.
2. Clothes: buying clothes is a necessity but also an extravagance. There are a lot of money saving deals that you can take advantage of to get clothes at bargain prices:
- Look for sales; you can save heaps of money by always buying your clothes at sales and discount prices.
- Do not shop at expensive stores you can often get a similar item at a cheaper store. You do not have to buy designer clothes; you can dress elegantly for less.
- If you do not need it do not buy it.
- If you really want to curb compulsive shopping, go with someone who can help you say no.
- Cut up all your credit cards or at least hide them away and only carry cash. Also be sure not to carry check books. When you rely on cash you will spend less.
4. Grocery bills:
- Shopping at cheaper stores is something that most of us have to do. If you shop at your local Safeway instead of an expensive store you will save money.
- You can also save money with discount codes; you can get these from your local paper or online. These coupons will save you heaps of money.
- If possible buy in bulk as this will be cheaper in the long run.
- Buy generic brands rather than name brands. You actually pay for the name and generic brands are often just as good.
- Eat home cooked food as much as you can. You can invest in a slow cooker so that you can just prepare your food before you go to work. Put it in the slow cooker and it is ready when you return from work.
- Instead of relying on take out meals for lunch take lunch to work. This will save you a lot of money.
- When you eat out always check the menu prices. Good food is not always judged by price.
You will probably find many more ways to save if you really go through your bills and see where that money is going. Pay your bills on time as this will save you from paying those fines. Go through your expenses with a fine toothed comb, you will be really surprised at how much you will save.
Iphones have become a large part of the mobile phone scenario. They may cost a little more initially but are well worth it in the long run. There are as many as 3,000 Iphone apps available for the Iphone 4 and with the upcoming Iphone 5 there will probably be many more. Many of these Iphone apps are money saving and are a good long term investment.
Here are 5 that can help you save money.
- Quicken: This is a free application and will help you to keep your finances straight. Knowing everything about your finances at a glance will help you to balance your books better. It will also help you to catch problems early and avoid a larger disaster in the future. Overall it should help you to actually save money by being more cautious.
- Coupon Sherpa: this is a voucher code app and gives you access to loads of coupons for all sorts of items. This is one of the Iphone apps that will save you tons of money in a relatively short space of time. You have a number of ways to search for these coupons. You can do it by merchant store names, or by category. In fact you can even send coupons to friends via email. This is also a free app.
- Grocery Gadget: this will let you make a grocery list so that you will not forget anything and have to make unnecessary trips to the store (gas is costly). It will also give you access to price comparisons and allows you to find coupons. Additionally you can share the list with friends. This will save you heaps of money on your grocery bills. There is a small fee for this.
- Gas Buddy: this can be a lifesaver for those who travel. This application will locate the cheapest petrol stations nationwide and locally. It will even tell you how far it is from you, how much estimated time it will take to get there and how to get there. You may be surprised at the different petrol prices in just your town alone. There is a nominal fee for this but you will get back your investment very quickly.
- Skype: this is a phone application that will save you heaps of money on International calls. This is ideal for personal use or for the global business person. You can call people all over the world at very low rates and sometimes even for free.
Where to get these Iphone apps?
The Itunes store offers 3,000 apps for your phone in every field you can imagine. There is literally something for everybody here.
Android apps are open source apps that you can use with your Iphone. Here are 6 free ones.
- Open home: You can change the look of your default home screen with different fonts, skins and icon packs.
- Google voice: this will allow you to have all your voice mails transcribed into text, so that they are available for you to read via email or get them streamed from a website. This will save you minutes on your mobile and ultimately save you quite a bit of money.
- NEsiod: this is a gaming application which allows you to play a variety of games from your Iphone.
- Google finance: this app allows you to check the stock market, with real time quotes. It links with a number of websites to do this.
- Google listen: this app allows you to download podcasts to your Ipod. It is useful if you forget to download something, because you can just search for it and download from Google.
Summer is the time when we go out and enjoy ourselves. It is also a time when we can find ourselves spending a little more than we should. There are in fact a number of ways you can save money in these carefree months.
7 ways to save money
- Summer sales: are always fun and you can save quite a bit of money when you buy items at these sales. Retailers realize that consumers may not be that interested in shopping in summer so they routinely have summer sales offers to bring in more customers. You can quite a few things on sale at this time of year. In fact thrifty shoppers wait all year for these special sales to get good bargains.
- Travel: look for money saving deals on travel, like package holidays. Online you will find many websites offering good deals on hotels and rental cars. When you buy package holidays you can get substantial savings on hotels, airfares and rental cars. Tour packages are also a good way to save money. If you book cruises several months in advance you can get good deals.
- Recycle: recycling newspapers, glass and plastic will save the environment. It will also allow you to save money as you will not have to spend money on new containers. Some things come in very nice containers that you can keep and reuse for a long time. You can dress up these boxes and cans and use them for gift containers. This will save money but not look cheap.
- Discount codes: you can find sales coupons for many items online and in your local newspaper. You can trade them in at your local shops and save a substantial amount of money.
- Save on utility bills:
- With the advent of reasonable weather you can now line dry your clothes instead of using your tumble dryer. This will save a lot on your utility bills.
- Take shorter showers: this will save money on water bills and heating for the hot water.
- Turn down your water heater a couple of degrees: you will be surprised at how much this will save you. In summer you really do not need very hot showers.
- You can use a pusher mower instead of petrol or electric one.
- Change your light bulbs to LED ones. You will save money on energy bills as these bulbs burn up to 25% less electricity as compared to regular bulbs. They also last 10 times longer which means that you will spend less money on replacing bulbs.
- Save petrol: when the weather is fair you can walk rather than using the car for short distances. You could also bicycle to your destination rather than taking your car. If you are contemplating a new car you may consider getting a hybrid electric one. This will save you a lot of money as petrol prices tend to go up in summer and are already high.
- Start a vegetable garden: even in summer the price of fruits and vegetables are high, especially if you like organic food. A good way to save money on these food items is to grow your own.
With these 7 points you can start saving money this summer and really enjoy yourself, knowing that you have generated a little extra cash without really much effort.