There’s just something special about wearing a new dress for your New Year’s Eve party. The cost of a party dress is not so special, though. The average UK household is still facing a tighter-than-usual budget leaving little room for cocktail dresses, but fortunately New Years clothing deals open the door to style on a budget. You might be surprised at some of the great money saving deals retailers are offering around the holidays to clear out inventory to make room for next season.
Your normal routine is probably something along the lines of browsing your favourite shops, dress boutiques and mall after mall in hopes of finding that one chic dress that will turn heads instantly. After several trips, your head is spinning from the outrageous prices leaving you to resort to last year’s dress. Chances are you found a couple dresses that were “perfect” besides the numbers on the price tag—if you could only find the dress before New Years at a price you can afford.
Online Discount Codes
Fortunately, you may be in luck with a little time spent online. Discount codes are a fantastic way to enjoy extra savings on some top brand clothing. Also known as voucher codes, these online coupons are really beginning to flood the online shopping industry as retailers are recognizing the need to reach a broader customer base and get traffic to their online store. Voucher codes are one key way stores accomplish this, resulting in huge savings for shoppers.
Do not give up on the few dresses you found in the stores. You may very well find the same dress (or a similar one) online at a discounted price. If you have a certain store in mind, discount codes are definitely worth looking into. At sites like www.123vouchercodes.co.uk you can browse lists of stores and companies offering discounts on their products, such as Marks and Spencer, Next, Laura Ashley and Kays.
Using a voucher code is simple. Sometimes you just need to click on their link after which you will be directed to their website. At checkout, the savings will be calculated automatically. You may also need to input the letter or number combination during the checkout process. This combination is the “code” similar to the barcode you would use for an in-store coupon. Besides the savings, a bonus about using a discount code is the ability to find a dress for your New Year celebrations without dealing with the hustle and bustle of holiday shopping.
Online Auction Sites and Discount Stores
Or, never underestimate the possibility of finding a dress on an online auction site like www.ebay.co.uk where shoppers regularly find top brand name clothing rather cheap. You may even find a new dress you could not find in stores—something unique.
Also be sure to check out online retail stores specializing in discount attire, such as www.BooHoo.com, www.MandMDirect.com and www.very.co.uk where you can find a huge selection of dresses, shoes, accessories and more at savings of up to 75%. You may be pleasantly surprised at the possibilities at these online and auction sites which may result in a New Year dress more fabulous than you could have imagined.
Borrow or Swap with a Friend
Finally, never overlook the possibility of borrowing a dress for New Years especially if you are going to a new place among new friends. Who will know the difference if you are wearing your friend’s dress from last year? It’s at least something to chat about with your friends—who knows, she may have thought of the same thing but was hesitant to bring it up. The more you save on your party attire, the more you will both have to spend during the actual celebration (or a pair of shoes to match!).
Christmas and the holiday season is the busiest shopping time of the year. It is the time when retailers look to make their best sales and recuperate the losses they have usually incurred for the rest of the year. Consumers buy like there was no tomorrow and by the time the New Year comes they often face a mountain of debt.
The frugal Christmas shopper knows how to get all the Christmas gifts on their list and still stay in the black. What is their secret? Let us take a quick look at a Christmas checklist for frugal Christmas shopping.
- Be prepared: get your gift list ready and know exactly what you need to buy. This will prevent spontaneous buying, which will increase spending.
- Cash only: This is hard to do but very necessary. Do not use credit cards. If you do you will be tempted to buy things without taking into account the price. This is a sure way to create a mountain of credit card debt to pay off in the coming year.
- Be creative: think of unique Christmas gift ideas. When you buy presents try to make them unique and fitting for the person. It is not necessarily how much it costs but whether it is a worthwhile gift that your loved one will enjoy. Many unique gifts are not expensive but will be much appreciated.
- Sales: There are plenty of sales around the holiday season with chances to get cheap Christmas gifts. Just remember to keep an eye on the paper and TV ads.
- Save big on after Christmas sales: this m ay sound insane but many people save a lot on after Christmas sales. Prices are cut as much as 50% after Christmas because the retailers have a surplus of stock and want to sell it off rather than keeping it for a whole year. You can take advantage of these sales and keep the gifts in a safe place. It will save you time as well as money as you will have to do less shopping in the crowded stores at Christmas time.
- Do it yourself: if you enjoy arts and crafts, knitting and sewing etc. you can make some lovely gifts for people on your list. Making your own gifts will save you a lot of money and enable you to give unique presents to your loved ones.
- Baking: home baked gifts are always popular for many people on your list. This is one of the cheap Christmas gifts you can give but is greatly appreciated. You can look for recipes online or use some traditional family ones.
- Gift cards: rather than giving gifts that the recipient may not like you can always give them a gift card for their favourite shop. This will save you time and you can get gift cards to match your budget.
- Decorations and Christmas lights: when you buy these items always buy them directly after Christmas so that you will take advantage of the post Christmas sales. Decorations and other accessories are usually at least ½ off and can easily be stored until next Christmas. You will save a lot of money by doing this.
- Christmas cards: You can buy these at the January sales and usually save 50% off the regular price. When you make your own you will save even more and delight your loved ones with unique Christmas cards.
Christmas is one of the worst times to travel. There are crowds of people and the airlines always put up the prices for the Christmas holidays. However there are ways that you can save and travel this holiday season for less.
9 ways to save on travel during the Christmas holidays:
- Package holidays: You can get great travel deals online at Expedia UK they offer nice package holidays at bargain prices. Choose where you want to go decide on your dates and just book on Expedia’s website. Payments are easy with your credit card. Package deals will save you a lot of money as you can get special rates on hotels and airfares when you combine them. You can also include a rental car with some packages.
- Cheap flights: If you are looking to visit relatives and loved ones you may only need a return flight. You can get good deals on flights at this site Kayak there are a wide variety of flights available. You can save even more money if you take a flight that has stops instead of a direct flight.
- Special travel deals: You can find special discounts at Lastminute.com they offer all sorts of specials on flights and hotels. They also arrange bookings for theatre tickets and spas at discount prices. This means that you can save on travel as well as other items when you go on your Christmas holidays.
- Book in advance: If you book at least 3 weeks in advance it will be much cheaper than booking closer to your holiday. Airlines encourage this as it is easier for them to book in advance and know how many passengers will be flying. Seating arrangements will be easier and you will be able to choose whether you want a window or aisle seat etc.
- Booking at the last minute: If you are a risk taker you can often save by booking at the last minute. The airlines sometimes have space due to cancellations and will be willing to sell you tickets at discount prices. You will save money but there is no guarantee that you will get a flight during the holiday season.
- Take weekend flights: when you fly on a weekend you can often get cheaper rates from the airlines. This is because many people do not like to travel on the week end. Commuters and business people will usually travel on the week days.
- Use travel promotion codes: Look online for travel promotion codes. These can save you quite a bit of money. You can get them for airfares, hotels, car rentals and more.
- Sky miles: many companies including credit cards will offer sky miles with their loyalty programs. When you purchase items you will earn a certain number of free miles on participating airlines. You can accumulate these and end up getting a free flight to your destination.
- Use a search engine: when you use Sky Scanner UK you can access a wide array of bargain travel sites and travel agents to find the best travel deals. This is a search engine that brings up many travel websites. When you find a good bargain you can then book directly through the associated travel agent or travel site.
- You can also go to your local travel agent and they will find you some good deals to help you plan your trip at the best price.
With these 9 tips you can travel this Christmas for less and still get to see your relatives and loved ones without breaking your budget. Although travel can be expensive there is no reason that you need to spend more money than you need to.